Sunday, December 30, 2012

What I've Been Up To This Christmas

Well as it's a little late to say "merry Christmas" at least I have an excuse. I've been meaning to set up our nativity scene figures outside for the past two years but I had to rig something so they don't topple over, and to avoid a quick and easy theft. How sad it is when you need to take some measures to avoid your Christmas decorations from getting stolen... baby Jesus being the most common target for kids who have nothing better to do than to steal it. Well, enough of that. This year I decided to finally put them up.

For the background I carved 2 pieces of insulation foam and painted to look like an old plaster wall that has been crumbling in the elements, exposing the stone underneath.

I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.






I decided to do a simple base out of a solid wood panel to which I can easily affix the figures with screws and mending brackets. Worked like a charm. The wood base was very loosely painted to give the illusion of stone.




Hope you had a very merry Christmas, and have a happy new year. Be back in 2013!