Saturday, April 20, 2013

Colonel Fizziwig Steampunk Blasters - Review


I've been eying these guys for a while now and the more I looked at them, the more I dug them. These are part of a series of steampunk display props distributed by the Pacific Trading Company. One of the things I find particularly charming about these is the clever theming and backstory behind these props included in the product packaging. A letter is included describing the fictional history of the development of these weapons as though they are the real deal. This is brilliant marketing as it puts their products into context.

I picked up three different designs. One called the "Consolidator,"

another called the "Combobulator,"

and the other called the "C.O.D," which is an abbreviation for "Concealable Ossotronic Disruptor."

The stands are stunning and very Jules Vernian, and perfectly complement the guns. The sculpts themselves are very nice and cast in solid resin, while the paint jobs are just good enough. I personally might retouch them somewhere down the line but they look just fine out of the box.





My verdict, if you're into steampunk or simply like the aesthetic and don't have the time (or skill) to create your own Victorian fantasy weapons, I highly recommend them.